« PreviousContinue »
Thou hast ascended on high, thou haft led caprivily captive, thou hast received gifts for men : jea, for the rebellious alfo: that the Lord God might dwell among
עליק למרום .them
1. This was typified, Lev. xvi. 2, 3.
50. 51. Ats i, 9, 10, 11.
2. Visible, because no more was he to be
seen on Earth.
1. To confirm our Faith.
3. To prepare Mansions for us, Fobn xiv. 2.
Col. iii. 1.
II. Thou baft led Captivity Captive. '70 n'ju
1. To fin, Rom vi. 16.
2. Christ delivereth us from this Captivity,
Luke iv. 18. Asts iii. 26. 3. He makes us his own Servants, and so
captivates to himself the Captives of Sa
tan. Use. Let us serve him who hath redeemed us
to himscif, i Cor. vi. 20.
IJI. Thru haft received gifts for Men, on? ΟΙΝΟ Π3ron έδωκε δίμα]α τους ανθρώποις, So allo the Targum 1. What Gifts?
i Repentance, Acts ii. 38.
Judgment. 2. To guide us, John. xvi. 13. Rom. viii.
14. 3. To sanctifie us, Tit. iii. 5. 1 Cor.vi. u. 4. To quicken us, Rom. viii. 2. 5. To help us in Prayer, Rom. viii. 15,16. 6. To discover our Estates to us, Rom.
viii. 16. 7. To comfort and support us, Jobri xiv.
16, 17 IV. Tea, for the rebellious, 017710 px, that is, even for finners, Roni. v. 8. who rebell,
1. Against GOD, Isa. i. 2, 3.
V. That the Lord God might dwell amongst t?em, which implies, I, Our Relation to him, Deut. iv. 7.
B b 3
2. His favour to us, Lev. xxvi. 11. Exod. xxxiii.
1, 2, 3, 16. Exod. xxxiv. 9. 3. Our Communion with him, 1 John i. 3. 4. His gu dance of us, Psal. Ixxviii. 14,52, 53.
Psal. Ixxvi. 2. 5. His Protection, Numb. xxiii. 21, 22, 23.
Ffal xlvi. 5,6,7. Pfal. xxiii. 4. 6. His providing for us, Psal. xxiii. 1,5,6. 7. His being our GOD, Lev. xxvi. 11, 12.
1. Believe the Ascension.
Psal. Ixxiii. 25.
Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earib that I desire besides thee.
OD is to be desired before all things in the
1. What is it to defire GOD? 1. To prefer him in our Judgments, Pbil. i. 8. 2. To chuse him in our Wills. 3. To be more Zealous in our endeavour after
him than any thing else.
II. What is it in GOD we are to desire?
IJI. Why should we desire GOD above all things? 1. Because he is more desirable than all things,
Like xviii. 19. Prov. iii. 15. 2. All other things are only defirable for his
Psal. xvii. 15:
GOD, Psal. xviii. 4. 2. That are unwilling to part with any thing
for GOD. 3. That regard not the Ordinances. 4. That make it not their business to seek
after GOD. 2. Exhortation, As Solomon, 1 Kings iii. 5,1l,
1. This is the end why we have desires.
fore GOD, Col. iii. s.
good evidence of Heaven.
8. A good Name.
And manifest that you desire GOD more than these things. 1. By being willing to part with them when
GOD calls for them.
GOD than these things.
PSA L. xc. 12.
So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.
DOCTRINE. IT T is our Duty to number our days, Psal,
4 1. What Arithmetical Operations should we perform each Day? 1. Addirion. Add each day, 1. To the number of your Graces, 2 Pet. i.
5,6 2. To the Degrees of each Grace, 2 Pet. iii.
18 2. Substraction. Substract,
1. From the sins of your Souls, Col. iii. 5. 2. From the itrength of your
sins. 3. Multiplication. Multiply,
1. Your thoughts of GOD, Psal. cxxxix.