« PreviousContinue »
Gɛ n. i 26. Creatino og licam And God said, Let us make Man
in our own Image, after our Like
ness. Observ. 1. HE Trinity or Plurality of
Persons in the Godhead is
here implied. 1. There is but one God: And God said.
2. A Plurality of Persons were imployed in
How doth that appear
2. In the New, Matt. iii. 16. 17. Luk. i. 38. ż Cor. xiii. 14.
Wherein is delivered, 1. Their Names.
1. God the Father. This none deny. Voli I.
2. God the Son, Job. i. 1. 1 Job. V. 20.
Job. xx. 28. Phil. ii. 6, 7. Otherwise he
could not be our Saviour.
OBSERV. II. All Three Persons concurred
USE. Therefore Man is bound to Worship
7. Thankfulness, Matt. xi. 25,
5. Immortal, Matt. xxv. 46.
In his Affections and Inclinations,
Psal. lxxiii. 25.
1. Because he was made Happy.
tures, Gen. i. 28.
2. Bewail our Loss of this Image.
3. Endeavour to have it repaired, Eph. iv, 24.
1. Be sensible of your Loss.
not subject to the World.
were made in.
preise of RufumeG e x. xlix. 10.
. The Scepter. Shall not depart from fuo
AN being fallen from GOD, could not
recover himself. 2. Hence the Son of GOD undertook to Redeem him.
3. To do this, he was to become Man.
4. Hence a Time was set when he should become Man, Gal. iv. 4.
5. Before he came, GOD revealed him to his People, Gen. iii. 15. c. xii. 2, 3. c. xxii. 18. To the Gentiles, Job xix. 24. Numb. xxiv. 17. To the Jews, Ifa. vii. 14. c. ix. 6.
6. Not only his Person, but the Time also of his Appearing, was revealed.
7. There are Three Places especially that determine the Time.
1. Mal. iii. 1. Hag. ii. 9.
3. Gen. xlix. 10.
3. By, Judah, the Tribe : 2 Reg. xvii. Salmaneler having carried the Ten away Captive.
4. By Lawgiver, qui jus dicit.
5. By, from between his Legs, his Pofterity born of him.
.Onkel ,עד דייתי משיחא ודיליה היא מלכותא
- - Rab . Bechaj ,הזכיר יעקוב משיח בשם שולה
.שילה זהמלך המשיח
his St. Ferome, jo)
6. By Sbilo, Messiab.
, . NUOT 170 phw, R. Sal Jarcbi. So Fonatb. dTarg. Hierofolym.
. . So also Abrabenell. So also in the Talmud in Bereshitb Rabba,
. 7. By the gathering of the People to him, Obedience to him, o'Qy MT:17, in Arabick, Paruit, obediens fuit. Prov. xxx. 17. ox napis yan. To shew when the Prophecy thus explain'd
was fulfilled : Consider, . 1. When Fesus was born, Herod was King, an Idumean by Father's, Arabįan by Mother's side ; though a Proselite, yet not of fudah's Pofterity
Non defuit Judeorum Princeps ex Judeis sofque ad <iftum Herodem quem primum acceperunt alienigenam -Regem. Auguft.
So Eusebius, Hist. 1. 1., c. 6.
, 0 fore which Herod himself was brought, and (fcarcely escaped with his Life, Joseph. I. 14. 18.
But he after, Πάντας αποκλεινε τες και το συνέseim, Fosepb. I. 14. 18. But this Sanhedrim was taken away,
, che Destruction of the Temple, David Ganfius, and Talmud." And so, just when our Saviour appeared in the World, Fob. xviii. 31.
40 ,ארבעים שנה קודם חורבן הבית