« PreviousContinue »
PSALM lxviii. 18.
Thou haft afcended on high, thou haft led caprivily captive, thou haft received gifts for men : jea, for the rebellious alfo: that the Lord God might dwell among them.
1. This was typified, Lev. xvi. 2, 3.
50,51. Аčts i. 9, 10, 11.
2. Visible, because no more was he to be
seen on Earth.
1. To confirm our Faith.
3. To prepare Mansions for us, Fobn xiv. 2.
Col. iii. 1.
II. Thou baft led Captivity Captive. aw n'w 1. We are naturally Captives.
1. To fin, Rom vi. 16.
2. Christ delivereth us from this Captivity,
Luke iv. 18. Afts iii. 26. 3. He makes us his own Servants, and so
captivates to himself the Captives of Sa
tan. Use. Let us serve him who hath redeemed us
to himseif, i Cor. vi. 20.
IJI. Thou hast received gifts for Men, op DIN2 έδωκε δύμαια τους ανθρώποις, So allo the Targum 1. What Gifts?
i Repentance, Acts ii. 38.
14. 3. To sanctifie us, Tit. iii. 5. I Cor.vi. u. 4. To quicken us, Rom. viii. 2. s. To help us in Prayer, Rom. viji. 15,16. 6. To discover our Estates to us, Rom.
viii. 16. 7. To comfort and support us, Fobni xiv.
16, 17. IV. Tea, for the rebellious, 017710 749, that is, even for finners, Roni, v. 8. who rebell,
1. Against GOD, Isa. i. 2, 3.
V. That the Lord God might dwell amongst 11 ern, which implies, 1. Our Relation to him, Deut. iy. 7.
2. His favour to us, Lev. xxvi. 11. Exod. xxxiii.
1, 2, 3, 16. Exod. xxxiv. 9. 3. Our Communion with him, 1 John i. 3. 4. His gu dance of us, Psal. Ixxviii. 14,52, 53.
Psal. Ixxvi. 2. 5. His Protection, Numb. xxiii. 21, 22, 23.
Ffal xlvi. 5,6,7. Pfal. xxiii. 4. 6. His providing for us, Psal. xxiii. 1,5,6. 7. His being our GOD, Lev. xxvi. 11, 12.
1. Believe the Ascension.
Psal. Ixxiii. 25.
Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earib that I desire besides thee.
OD is to be desired before all things in the
1. What is it to defire GOD? 1. To prefer him in our Judgments, Pbil. i. 8. 2. To chuse him in our Wills. 3. To be more Zealous in our endeavour after
him than any thing else.
II. What is it in GOD we are to desire?
III. Why should we desire GOD above all things? 1. Because he is more desirable than all things,
Like xviii. 19. Prov. iii. 15. 2. All other things are only defirable for his
fake. 3. He alone can satisfie our desires, Isa. Iv. 1.
Psal. xvii. 15: I. Uše. Reproof, to those that defire all things
before GOD. 1. That think of other things more than
GOD, Psal. xviii. 4. 2. That are unwilling to part with any thing
for GOD. 3. That regard not the Ordinances. 4. That make it not their business to seek
after GOD. 2. Exhortation, As Solomon, 1 Kings iii. 5, 11,
12, 13: Motives.
1. This is the end why we have desires.
fore GOD, Col. iii. s.
good evidence of Heaven.
8. A good Name.
And manifest that you desire GOD more than these things. 1. By being willing to part with them when
GOD calls for them.
GOD than these things.
PSAL. XC. 12.
So teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom.
1. What Arithmetical Operations should we perform each Day? I. Addition. Add each day, 1. To the number of your Graces, 2 Pet. i.
5,6 2. To the Degrees of each Grace, 2 Pet. iii.
18 2. Substraction. Substract,
1. From the sins of your Souls, Col. iii. 5. 2. From the 1trength of your
sins. 3. Multiplication. Multiply,
1. Your thoughts of GOD, Psal. cxxxix.