A New Pocket Companion for Oxford: Or, Guide Through the University: Containing an Accurate Description of the Public Edifices, the Buildings in Each of the Colleges; the Gardens, Statues, Pictures, Hieroglyphics, and All Other Curiosities in the University. With an Historical Account of the Foundation of the Several Colleges, and Their Present State. To which are Added, Descriptions of the Buildings, Tapestry, Paintings, Sculptures, Temples, Gardens, &c. at Blenheim, Ditchley, Heythrop, Nuneham and Stow, the Seats of His Grace the Duke of Marlborough, the Right Honourable the Earls of Litchfield, Shrewsbury, and Harcourt; and the Marquis of Buckingham..
What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Other editions - View all
adorned alſo Altar Anne Apartment appears Arch Arms beautiful Benefactors Biſhop Books Bridge Building built Buſt called Chapel Charles Chimney Church Collection College Columns conſiſts contains County Court curious Daughter deſigned ditto Door Duke Earl Eaſt Edward eight elegant enter Entrance erected Family feet feet high Fellows Figures finiſhed firſt Flowers foot founded Founder four Front furniſhed Garden Gate gave grand Hall hand Harcourt Head Henry Houſe inches high John King Lady Landſcape late Late and preſent length Library Lord Magdalen magnificent Marble Mary Maſter Merton College middle moſt North North Side Number oppoſite Order originally ornamented Oxford painted Picture Piece placed Portrait preſent principal Profeſſor Quadrangle Queen repreſents Right Robert Roman Room Rubens ſame Scholars School ſeveral Side Simon Society ſome South ſtands Statue Students ſupported Temple theſe Thomas Univerſity View Wall wants Weſt whole Wife Window
Page 30 - It has lately received considerable improvements, and is now a very handsome quadrangle. The Chapel is 100 feet long, and 30 broad. In the arched roof is a piece of painting by Sir James Thornhill. The windows are admirably painted; the subject of that over the altar, by Mr. Price in 1717, is the Nativity of our Saviour: under which has lately been placed a painting on the same subject, a copy by Mr.
Page 13 - Genii round about the house, towards the wall which discovereth the open air, and maketh way for the descent of the Arts and Sciences, that are congregated in a circle of clouds, to whose assembly Truth descends, as being solicited and implored by them all.
Page 36 - The Outfide is Gothic, in conformity with the reft of the Quadrangle. The Infide confifts of two grand Ranges of Bookcafes, one above the other, fupported by Pilafters of the Doric and Ionic Orders, Over the Bookcafes are placed interchangeably Vafes and Buftoes of many eminent Perfons, formerly Fellows of this Society, of which the following is a Lift, viz.
Page 34 - Hour,, fhews to a Minute what is the Time, the Minutes being marked on the Sides of the Rays, fifteen on each Side, and divided in five by a different Character.
Page 128 - A wish may rise to emulate her Fame, And some faint Image of her worth restore, When those who now lament her are no more. George Simon Harcourt, and the Hon. Elizabeth Vernon, Viscount and Viscountess Nuneham, erected this Urn, in the year 1771, and William Whitehead, Esq.
Page 61 - Stapledon, Bifhop of Exeter, Lord Treafurer of England, and Secretary of State to King Edward II. 1316, obtained a Charter for founding* a College where Hertford College now...
Page 35 - In this old quadrangle is a dial, contrived by that ingenious architect, Sir Christopher Wren, when Fellow of the College, which by the help of two half rays, and one whole one for every hour, shews...
Page 61 - Society confifting of Thirteen, ie A Rector and twelve Fellows ; one of whom, the Chaplain, to be appointed by the Dean and Chapter of Exeter; eight to be ele&ed out of the Archdeaconries of Exeter, Totnes, and Barnftaple in Devonfhire, and four from the Archdeaconry of Cornwall.