« PreviousContinue »
7. The waters shall no more become a flood, to destroy all flesh. Gen. ix. 15. How excellent is thy mercy, O God! Ps. xxxvi. 7.
8. No man can serve two masters, for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will hold to the one and despise the other, ye cannot serve God and Mammon. Matt. vi. 24.- -The wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Rom. vi. 23.
9. The word of the Lord came unto Abram, in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram : I am thy shield. Gen, xv. I. -God is our hope and strength : a very present help in trouble. Ps. xlvi. 1.
10. Make me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. Ps. li. 10.- If any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. viii. 9.
11. And it came to pass, when God destroyed the cities of the plain, that God remembered Abraham, and sent Lot out of the midst of the overthrow, when he overthrew the cities in which Lot dwelt. Gen. xix. 29. -So that a man shall say, verily, there is a reward for the righteous, doubtless there is a God that judgeth the earth. Ps. lviii. 10.
12. Now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son, from me. Gen. xxii. 12.He that loveth son, or daughter, more than me, is not worthy of me. Matt. x. 37.
13. There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob. Rom. xi. 26.—He is our God, even the God of whom cometh salvation: God is the Lord, by whom we escape death. Ps. Ixviii. 20.
14. He said, Let there be now an oath betwixt us, even betwixt us and thee, and let us make a covenant with thee; that thou wilt do us no hurt, as we have not touched thee, and as we have done unto thee
nothing but good, and have sent thee away in peace. Gen. xxvi, 28, 29, -As much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. Rom. xii. 18.
15. My father, peradventure will feel me, and I shall seem to him as a deceiver; and I shall bring a curse upon me, and not a blessing. Gen. xxvii. 12.- -If thou do that which is evil, be afraid. Rom. xiii. 4.
16. And he sent, and beheaded John in the prison. Matt. xiv. 10.—How long will ye give wrong judgment, and accept the persons of the ungodly? Ps. lxxxii. 2.
17. And he said, thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel : for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed. Gen. xxxii. 28. beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ's sake, and for the love of the Spirit, that
strive together with me in your prayers to God for me. Rom. xv. 30.
18. Ask me never so much dowry and gift, and I will give according as ye shall say unto me; but give me the damsel to wife. Gen. xxxiv. 12. man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? Matt. xvi. 26.
19. Let us slay him, and cast hirn into some pit ; and we will say, some evil beast hath devoured him : and we shall see what will become of his dreams. Gen. xxxvii. 20.-0 ye that love the Lord, see that ye hate the thing which is evil; the Lord preserveth the souls of his saints; He shall deliver them from the hand of the ungodly. Ps. xcvii. 10.
20. His master's wife cast her eyes upon Joseph. Gen. xxxix. 7.-If thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell-fire.- -Matt. xviii. 9.
21. (Pharaoh) sent and called for all the Magicians
What is a of Egypt, and all the wise men thereof: and Pharaoh told them his dreams; but there was none that could interpret them unto Pharaoh. Gen. xli. 8.- The wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. I Cor. iii. 19.
22. And they said one to another, we are verily guilty concerning our brother, in that we saw the anguish of his soul, when he besought us, and we would not hear; therefore is this distress come upon us. Gen. xlii. 21.-(The Lord) both will bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the heart; and then shall every man have praise of God. 1 Cor. iv. 5.
23. Joseph is yet alive, and he is governor over all the land of Egypt. Gen. xlv. 26.
He taketh up the simple out of the dust, and lifteth the poor out of the mire, that he may set him with the princes. Ps. cxiii. 6. 7.
24. And Jacob said unto Pharaoh, the days of the years of my pilgrimage are an hundred and thirty years: few and evil have the days of the years
my life been, and have not attained unto the years of the life of my fathers. Gen. xlvii. 9.- I am a stranger upon earth. Ps. cxix. 19.
25. Conversion of St. Paul.-COLLECT FOR THE DAY. O God, who through the preaching of the blessed Apostle, St. Paul, hast caused the light of the gospel to shine throughout the world : Grant, we beseech thee, that we, having his wonderful conversion in remembrance, may show forth our thankfulness unto thee for the same, by following the holy doctrine which he taught, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
26. He saw that rest was good, and the land that it was pleasant, and bowed his shoulder to bear, and became a servant unto tribute. Gen. xlix. 15.Let every man abide in the same calling wherein he
was called. Art thou called being a servant? care not for it. I Cor. vii. 20, 21.
27. They did set over them task-masters to afflict them with their burdens. Ex. i. 11.-_They that sow in tears shall reap in joy. Ps. cxxvi. 6.
28. And Pharaoh's daughter said unto her, take this child away and nurse it for me, and I will give thee thy wages. Ex. ii. 9. -And the king shall answer and say unto them, verily, say unto you, inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these
my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matt. XXV, 40.
29. Peter said unto him, though I should die with thee, yet will I not deny thee. Matt. xxvi. 35.Let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall. I. Cor. x. 12.
30. Epistle for King Charles the Martyr.-1 Pet. ii. 13–17. Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake : whether it be to the king, as supreme; or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evil-doers, and for the praise of them that do well. For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men: as free, and not using your liberty for a cloak of maliciousness, but as the servants of God. Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king.
31. And all the cattle of Egypt died; but of the cattle of the children of Israel died not one. Ex. ix. 6. -Blessed is he that hath the God of Jacob for his help, and whose hope is in the Lord his God. Ps. cxlvi. 4.
a token upon
FEBRUARY 1. And Moses stretched forth his hand toward Heaven ; and there was a thick darkness in all the land of Egypt three days: They saw not one another, neither rose any from his place for three days : but all the children of Israel had light in their dwellings. Ex. X. 22, 23.-For Thou Lord wilt give thy blessing unto the righteous, and with thy favourable kindness wilt thou defend him as with a shield. Ps. v. 13.
2. Purification of the Virgin Mary.-COLLECT FOR THE DAY. Almighty and Everliving God, we humbly beseech Thy Majesty; that as Thy only-begotten Son was this day presented in the temple in substance of our flesh; so we may be presented unto Thee, with pure and clean bearts, by the same thy Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. 3. The blood shall be to you
the houses where ye are; and when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you when I smite the land of Egypt. Ex. xii. 13. —I delivered unto you first of all, that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures. I Cor. xv. 3.
4. And The Lord said unto Moses, Wherefore criest thou unto me? speak unto the children of Israel, that they go forward : But lift thou up thy rod, and stretch out thy hand over the sea, and divide it: and the children of Israel shall go on dry ground through the midst of the sea. Ex. xiv. 15, 16.- And he said unto them, why are ye so fearful ? how is it that
ye have no faith? And they feared exceedingly, and said one to another, what manner of man is this, that even the wind and the sea obey him ? Mark iv. 40, 41.
5. And the children of Israel said unto them, would God we had died by the hand of the Lord in the land of Egypt, when we sat by the flesh-pots, and when we did eat bread to the full : for ye have bronght us forth