What people are saying - Write a review
We haven't found any reviews in the usual places.
Other editions - View all
aisle and porch aisles and south ancient angle appears base bell-turret brass capitals caps chancel chancel-arch chapel character church circular clerestory consisting cross curious destroyed divided door doorway dows early east end east window effigy engraved in Lipscomb exterior figures fine font four heads inserted in various John late latter lights lower Lysons Mary modern moulded nave and chancel nave with aisles nave with clerestory niche Nicholas north aisle north side octagonal original ornamented painted panelled Peter piers and arches piscina places plain plain E. E. portions Principally rebuilt remains remarkable rest rich roof round Saints screen sedilia shafts south aisle south doorway south porch south side south wall specimen spire square square-headed stone story style supported three-light windows tomb tower and turret tower at west tracery transept Transition trefoiled two-light windows vestry west end west tower whole windows inserted
Page 146 - Parochial Antiquities attempted in the History of Ambrosden, Burcester, and other adjacent Parts in the Counties of Oxford and Bucks, with a Glossary of obsolete Terms.
Page 177 - There is a low side window on the south side of the chancel, and near the north door is the holy water stoup.
Page 146 - IN THE COUNTY OF BUCKINGHAM, founded in the year 1276, by Edmund Earl of Cornwall ; to which is added a Description of the present Mansion, impl. folio, 33 ßne portraitt and plates, PROOFS ON INDIA PAPER, hf. bd. ruitia eitra, £12. 12« . 1823 • Historical Tablets and Medallions, illustrative Privately printed by the Earl of Bridgewater, and very rare.
Page 147 - ... period, are of very decided Perpendicular character. Perhaps one of the earliest and best authenticated examples of this Transition, shewing a...
Page 161 - ... to Eustace Mabcall, clerk of the works to Cardinal Wolsey at the building of Christ Church, Oxon., being then "pistile reader" in Windsor castle: he died 1567. 51. FULMER, St. James. Built by Sir Marmaduke Darell, 1610. It is of brick with stone quoins : several of the windows have painted quarries. On the south side of the chancel is a fine monument of the founder, dec. 1630.
Page 146 - AND THE DEANERY OF WYCOMB, IN BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, including the Borough Towns of Wycomb and Marlow, and sixteen other Parishes. 4to. 1797. NEWCOMB'S REPERTORIUM, OR ECCLESIASTICAL PAROCHIAL HISTORY OF THE DIOCESE OF LONDON. 2 Vols. Folio. 1708. LIPSCOMB'S HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF THE COUNTY OF BUCKINGHAM. 4 vols. 4to. 1831-47. BERRY'S PEDIGREES OF THE FAMILIES IN BERKSHIRE, BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, AND SURREY, WITH THE COATS OF ARMS. Folio. 1837. ACKERMAN'S HISTORY OF THE COLLEGES OF WINCHESTER, ETON, AND...
Page 180 - ... style, perfectly plain, and supported on each side by fine piers with good capitals. There are but two EE windows remaining. The rest of the church is P., the best part being the tower and spire. The upper stage has good double windows on each face, the buttresses panelled, and terminating in very good octagonal pinnacles ; the flying buttresses have pierced quatrefoils, and the spire itself has good windows and richly crocketed ribs. wc The spire was destroyed by lightning June 23, 1804, and...
Page 206 - ... There is a small N. piscina in the chancel. wc A piscina is engraved in the Glossary of Architecture, vol. ii. 201. WENDOVER, St. Mary. Chancel, nave, aisles, west tower. The chancel was restored in 1839, it has a squareheaded trefoiled piscina quite plain, chancel arch D. moulded. The nave is also D., and has five arches on each side, with clustered pillars on moulded bases, the capitals enriched with foliage and sculpture, some of the pillars have octagonal abaci, the others are round, the...